Monday, January 30, 2012

Still Not Sure That Erecting Cell Towers Are Such A Great Idea

I'm still not sure that erecting cell towers are such a great idea for our town. I've been reading conflicting articles about the potential for serious health risks (i.e) leukemia
among people who live within a short distance from cell towers (or any other RF-emitting structures).
Most studies are inconclusive, especially since this is a relatively new presence in our ever-changing environment.

Is anyone here concerned enough to even take even a moment to consider any possible down-sides of wanting better cell-phone coverage?

Meanwhile, new construction developments meet all sorts of environmental and other potentially impacting standards in our town, as they should.

I know better cell coverage is a benefit to our emergency services.
I also know that other towns and regions have installed different systems of repeaters for the emergency bands to have full, dedicated coverage in the areas they serve.
I also know there's some sort of mandates some time in the future for communications coverage that towns need to comply to.

I also realize that if I was stuck in a ditch, I would not be happy if I didn't have a signal.
I also know that where there's going to be one tower, there will sooner or later, be another...and another.
This first one will not provide complete coverage.

And, once we crap-up one zone, it'll be easier to justify another.
If there's no avoiding this, so be it...but, I know other towns which have resisted and not only for reasons of visual impact.

Maybe the risks, in the long run, will outweigh the benefits.
Maybe not.
I don't know.

-Steve Rosenzweig
King of the Luddites

No comments:

Post a Comment